Tuesday 9 November 2010

Music magazine - Pictures for front cover

My original image conception was to have a picture of a woman in red as it is such a powerful colour against a brick wall as bricks are a 'hard' material. I wanted the subject to look dominant, I feel I have been successful in this and I have not amended anything. The subject looks like a professional pop star and I think the guitar emphasises this.
The colour red is a powerful, emotional, determine and the colour of strength as well as love and passion so I thought I would contrast this with white, as I have done, as white it the colour of innocence and purity. They are two totally different things.
A guitar denotes a musical instrument that can be played by strumming of the fingers. A guitar connotes rock music and musical people. Although my magazine is aimed at young women I feel that the colour red is more over powering than the 'rock chick' look of the guitar, again, this is another contrast.
Here are my pictures, I have taken them from a range of different shots, please feel free to comment on which one you like.
Non of the following pictures have been edited yet.

Thank You


1.
I decided to start with a camera shot angle so the subject was looking straight at me so I could keep the 'dominant' element I wanted. The red guitar and lip stick emphasises the dominance in the picture. The brick wall is quite an even colour all over and has no graffiti on it, I decided to do this so it does not look 'dirty'.










2.
Here I have taken the picture from slightly further away so I could get more of the guitar in. The subject is looking away from the camera, I chose this because I thought it would look different and as pop stars have such busy lives these days it is like she is looking at something else, like she is trying to do two things at once. Although as I have taken it from further away I can see more of the wall above, if I was to decide to use this picture then it may have to be edited.







3.
This is a long shot picture. I decided to take this picture because I thought I needed to see what it looks like with the high heals on. The subject has one foot against the wall, I chose this because it makes the subject look more relaxed in the job she is doing. The shoes are a cream colour and could be changed in photoshop if I need them to be a match of the white stripes she has on her top. I may need this because if I decide to use this picture I may crop it. Again the subject is looking away from the camera.




4.

This is another long shot picture, it is from a side angle and the subject is smiling. This shows that she is happy in her job and looks like she enjoys music, the guitar backs this theory up. Again, one foot is against the wall so the subject looks relaxed.










5.
This picture I thought has a slightly 'rock chick'
look about it. The subjects hair is in her face
and she is looking at the guitar, almost as if she is concentrating on the music she is playing. Although she is not looking at the camera and this is not my original conception, I think that it is still a striking image because the picture is not taken too far away from the subject and she looks important.







6.
Here the subject is looking away from the camera up into the sky. This could mean that she is deep in thought about what she is doing, for example.















7.
This is a long shot taken from a direct angle, here the subject is looking away from the camera and still looks relaxed. On this particular picture I have got some of the floor in... so an idea would be to edit this and have a theme of music still, this could be a picture of a disco floor, for example, with lots of lights.

8 comments:

  1. I am a fan of image number one. I like the "dominance" of the photo and how it shows she is quite confident in what she is doing.
    I also like the uses of red in your pictures. You are right that red is a very powerful colour and in my opinion, you have used it well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Arron, the use of red is important and also eye-catching. By the looks of it the best images to use would be a combination of 3 and 6, but that is just my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the 'dominance' you are trying to get with the first image works well, How she is looking straight at the camera makes her look unafraid and empowered. Also I like image 3, the angle and distance of the shot work really well, and your use of red in the photos is very eye catching, it is a powerful colour and you have put this to good use (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed number 1 is very striking with the dominant position and the bright red making the image very imposing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the first one is probably the most eye catching mainly due to her stare and the red, but i think it would be more powerful it you cropped out some of the empty space to the right hand side and above her. also images 3 and 7 could be used for some semiotics of her 'walking the line' of something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the second image (: I think it goes against the codes of the person looking at the magazine, and that it is very different. By using this magazine it will make your magazine stand out :D

    ReplyDelete